Dubrovnik

Ha, so having decided NOT to go to Dubrovnik, it occurred to me at about 3 pm that a cocktail in Dubrovnik would finish my day nicely. I can see the old town from my apartment and it just seemed like a good idea. The boat left at 3:30 and there I was, out at sea.  Despite the place looking near, it took an hour to chug along, we passed a couple of cruise ships moored in the harbour, and a huge personal ship with a helicopter on the top.

I have very fond memories of Dubrovnik, a romantic dinner or two..  Because it was late in the day, the crowds were less than expected, but the volume of people in walking groups was scary.

I wandered along the back streets just trying to capture the place for those dear readers who haven't been there (yet). The main street is wide with what was palaces on either side (now shops and apartments) with tiny side streets - flat on the right hand side with a gradual rise, but dramatic steps on the left hand side going up the hill.









A fire almost destroyed the whole city in 1262 and the current city reflects the systematic rebuild. Dubrovnik was an independent state from 1382 and was an early adopter of modern laws and institutions - it had the first pharmacy in the world, still operating to this day, and had a hospital and an orphanage. The same fate befell Dubrovnik as our previous cities  - invaded by Venice, Ottoman Turks, Austria etc. It was also substantially damaged in the 1990's war, all of which has been repaired now (but not forgotten- see the poster above).

The latest siege in Dubrovnik is that of drunk young Australians and English  people - and no doubt kiwis as well. The powers that be are working out a solution - the town of Hvar have levied a fine of 500 euro for drunken behaviour there, and Dubrovnik is likely to follow suit.

Anyway,  I had one final cocktail as I sat in a bar watching the crowds. The last boat back was at 6:30 and I made sure I caught it: the temperature dropped as the sun went down.

So cheers to you all for coming with me on my journey, it's been great. I hope that you have been inspired to visit some of these fabulous places!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End

Rental Car. Part 1. First Destination.

Back in monopoli