So. I'm in Serbia! I'm pretty excited about being here.

Plane of course was an hour late leaving which created a bit of consternation for fellow travellers who had connecting flights, but the Serbians on board just rolled their eyes. Seem's it's a thing.

I chatted to a couple at the airport and asked about how to get to my accomodation  - he said 'taxi drivers would rip you off, they are morons, buses are disgusting', and helped me download the local app for 'uber' Siberian style. It seemed that the price was going to be more than a shuttle from my B & B so quickly contacted them. I have to say that it was so stress free walking out of the arrivals hall to see my name for a pickup.

Big round of applause for the place I'm staying in Smokvica Dorcol. Fabulous interior design and style, amazing reception and entrance which doubles as dining (there are three different areas for dining, all elegant and understated, modern Scandinavian style with a relaxing twist - I love it), and the most generous bedroom I have stayed in.





I'm sitting writing this at a trestle table which would seat 6 for dining. The floors are all whitewashed, with soft grey/blue colour on the walls. There is space for me to do my yoga stretching plus some.

Interesting little synopsis on the brochure provided in the room.


Last night I ate out at Casa Nova because it was the closest restaurant to Smokvica without getting lost/disoriented in the dark. Turns out it was the named the top restaurant this year. Lucky me!
The NZ$ equals 70 dinar, so I'm looking at prices in the 1000s. Gnocci last night was 795, plus salad and a cocktail came to about $25. Cheap eating, and apparently that place is expensive. Coffee is 160 so about  $2.30 (and great coffee).

And at the end of the street is the bohemian district of Skadarska (but more on that later).

It's fabulous. Most of the street signs are in Cyrillic which I had thought very cleverly to bring a copy of to compare with the Latin Alphabet but have (also very cleverly) left the page behind. I can't see a pattern yet, and feel a bit out of my depth when following a map in the Latin Alphabet, and trying to work out where I am.  GPS on my phone is good but I admit to having been a bit lost a couple of times. This is the street that I am in  - Gospodar Jovanova. Easy, right?

First impression here is that the young people working here are incredibly kind, trendy and interested in chatting. It feels very cosmopolitan. Lots of grafitti, lots of street art, people walking dogs (and not picking up), lots of interior concept stores, little design clothing stores. Narrow one way streets with creative parking. Yes, this car is parked. Talked about jay walking against traffic lights today (you know, empty street, decide to cross when the little light man is flashing red) and apparently you don't as police could be hiding behind a car to fine you)...

I did some exploring today, incredibly long day, but will tell you about it in episodes!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End

Rental Car. Part 1. First Destination.

Back in monopoli