Gornje Tucepi (this one was missed somehow!)

If you know me, you will have heard me wax lyrical about the village where Granddad was born - everytime I am in Makarska, I go up there. The people who live up there know who I am because sometimes my cousin Zlata knows that I am in town before I visit. I wander around, take a few photos. Amuse myself. I have no idea why, but this little place resonates with me.

But this time I have Chris with me, and he hasn't been to the village.

We hired scooters, and headed out on to the Magistrala, which is considerably faster moving than the back roads of Hvar.

First stop at the cemetery on the main road - the headstone needs to be mended - we've discussed this before. This is the headstone in memory of our Grandfather's parents - Jacov and Simica. The children's names are at the bottom - Granddad is Sime. We found his sister Ivka's headstone - Zlata's mother.





Then up to the village of Srida Sela in Tucepi - the roads are steep with incredible 240 degree corners, nothing that you want to take too quickly.

So here are a few photos. There is a lot of renovation going on,  houses being modernised to rent them out, pools being dug,  a few houses for sale. Many tourists find the beach too busy and crowded and are opting for this quiet more 'authentic' experience - but this isn't an option without a pool.




The structure of Granddad's family home is still there, but is being reduced to a pile of stones - although it has been cleared of vines again. The most massive walnut tree growing in front.

Chris got what I get in this place, he saw the beauty and felt the connection.

We wended our way back down the hill, and carefully veered off into the street where Zlata and Drago live. Always a delight despite the obvious language barrier  - we managed to work through all of the grandchildren and find out where they are and what they are doing (Karla is 5 months pregnant and Maria is in the US working as a doctor).

It's a feeling of belonging, filling in the gaps, being part of something bigger and connecting with it.

So we lay on the beach in Tucepi, looked at each other and said 'aren't we lucky'. And indeed we are.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End

Rental Car. Part 1. First Destination.

Back in monopoli