Eze

One of the reasons that I came to Nice was that I had been told about a hilltop village called Eze - picturesque, isolated, not yet on the tourist route. Well, most of that was true!

The day started with a huge thunderstorm and whilst my cunning plan had been to hire a scooter to get there, in the interest of safety (imagine!) I decided to take the bus. This meant a complex use of public transport even before I found the bus station. When I finally found the station, the ticket office was locked (France closes on a Sunday) and not a soul to be found  - mind you, I had peaked a bit soon, the online information told me the bus was at 2 and it was only 1:30, always allowing for time to get lost.

People started trickling to the bus stop. On the dot of 2, the driver pulled up, we piled on with a lot of confusion about the ticket buying/ card  scanning thing, with a lot of frustration and loud words on the part of the driver. To my amusement, this same conversation happened at the next three stops, with tourists trying to work out the system (how much?? I need to scan the card?? But it's a 24 hour travel pass? I need to pay more??). People even turned to ME for help? 

Anyway, the bus sped along the coast, people clinging to poles so they wouldn't fall over, beautiful sea views, through multiple tunnels (they are good at tunnels) and then up a steep hill to Eze. Which is of course on a hilltop given that it is a hilltop village. We piled out, and although I could see the village, a bunch of young Australian women presumed it was the exhibition by the bus-stop (do you think this is where we go?).

It seems that a lot of  the people previously living in the houses in Eze have emptied out because it is more lucrative to rent to tourists. (Same story as Dubrovnik). A lot of these  rooms seemed to be changing over for the day with sheets and towels being bundled out in big bags against the flow of meandering tourists. Even help any poor worker trying to access these places, because not only was it our full bus trekking along the paths and into private houses despite signs warning not to, but there were what seemed to be three huge groups off the cruise ships. All following the leader. People struggling to get their breath to climb the steps...

It is the most beautiful little place, but honestly, so many people poking their cameras into front doors, windows, I felt like a voyeur. There were so many interesting little corners but it took patience to wait for the right second where I didn't have randoms in my photos.

Here's a selection to give you a feel for the cuteness - the houses are hewn from rock, they must be quite compact inside. And the people must be fit. Especially the guy trying to supply new towels for the tourists. 































I had planned to take the bus back at 5.30 but suddenly, an earlier bus was there and I decided I had had enough  - enough of crowds - so reversed the public transport thing, (bus, tram, tram) and got back in time for a swim!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End

Rental Car. Part 1. First Destination.

Back in monopoli